This week’s assignment included an Arduino, which is a micro-controller. It’s basically a small computer that executes a “simple” programming language. It’s mainly used to control various types of electronics.
Since my previous project (LED Umbrella) was dismantled, I decided to wire a cracker box with 8 LEDs, and have them dim on and off using the Arduino & a Pot (Potentiometer).
I successfully completed the provided tutorials with no problems. The Arduino was working great, and all the code and wiring was executing as planned.
I completed the main tutorial, which included dimming and LED. Again, no problems. It all worked on the first attempt.
I even added a second LED, but why stop there. I successfully wired 6 more LEDs in addition to the 2 shown above. It wasn’t very difficult. I implemented the same wiring scheme that I used for my LED Umbrella.
Here are the LEDs that I planned to implement in the dim schematic.
Testing a row of LEDs didn’t work out as planned. I can’t figure out why the LEDs did not receive power. The wired LEDs and resistor maintains the same circuit as in the bread board phase. I began experimenting with different inputs, including connecting my row of LEDs directly to the Arduino.
I forgot to mention that I switched from USB power to 9v power. I changed my input on the Arduino from 5v (USB power) to Vin (9v power). It was at this point where I began to smell something burning. I immediately disconnected power, and realized that the Potentiometer was kaput. I resorted back to my initial bread board schematic, and a 9v power source. My LED was lighted, but the Potentiometer no longer responded.
It was also at this point that I realized the Arduino was no longer being recognized by my computer. I am unable to upload any code to it. The USB port on may laptop is working fine. I also tested the USB cable, which is also working fine. When I attempted to connect my Arduino to a classmates laptop, it was not recognized.
I am now Arduino-less. Attempts to find a solution online failed. I re-installed the Arduino software, but no good. It looks like I’ll have to purchase a new Arduino.