Arduino, FAIL, Switch

Project 2: Arduino Implementation

This week’s assignment included an Arduino, which is a micro-controller. It’s basically a small computer that executes a “simple” programming language. It’s mainly used to control various types of electronics.

Since my previous project (LED Umbrella) was dismantled, I decided to wire a cracker box with 8 LEDs, and have them dim on and off using the Arduino & a Pot (Potentiometer).

The goal: Wire 8 LEDs to dim using an Arduino & Potentiometer (Pot)

The goal: Wire 8 LEDs to dim using an Arduino & Potentiometer (Pot)

I successfully completed the provided tutorials with no problems. The Arduino was working great, and all the code and wiring was executing as planned.

Early test with the Pot worked just fine.

Early test with the Pot worked just fine.

I completed the main tutorial, which included dimming and LED. Again, no problems. It all worked on the first attempt.

I successfully connected 8 LEDs to dim using the Arduino & Pot.

I successfully connected 2 LEDs to dim using the Arduino & Pot.

I even added a second LED, but why stop there. I successfully wired 6 more LEDs in addition to the 2 shown above. It wasn’t very difficult. I implemented the same wiring scheme that I used for my LED Umbrella.

Similar to my LED Umbrella, I wired 2 LEDs to a 1k Ohm resistor.

Similar to my LED Umbrella, I wired 2 LEDs to a 1k Ohm resistor.

Here are the LEDs that I planned to implement in the dim schematic.

This is where things began to mess up. Something is off.

This is where things began to mess up. Something is off.

Testing a row of LEDs didn’t work out as planned. I can’t figure out why the LEDs did not receive power. The wired LEDs and resistor maintains the same circuit as in the bread board phase. I began experimenting with different inputs, including connecting my row of LEDs directly to the Arduino.

After tinkering with the wiring, something began to burn.

After tinkering with the wiring, something began to burn.

I forgot to mention that I switched from USB power to 9v power. I changed my input on the Arduino from 5v (USB power) to Vin (9v power). It was at this point where I began to smell something burning. I immediately disconnected power, and realized that the Potentiometer was kaput. I resorted back to my initial bread board schematic, and a 9v power source. My LED was lighted, but the Potentiometer no longer responded.

It was also at this point that I realized the Arduino was no longer being recognized by my computer. I am unable to upload any code to it. The USB port on may laptop is working fine. I also tested the USB cable, which is also working fine. When I attempted to connect my Arduino to a classmates laptop, it was not recognized.

I am now Arduino-less. Attempts to find a solution online failed. I re-installed the Arduino software, but no good. It looks like I’ll have to purchase a new Arduino.

 

Advertisements
Standard